Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It was quite the week!

I had been struggling with a migraine or some type of major head pain. It finally peaked on Sunday and by Tuesday I was too sick to even walk or talk. David ended up talking me to the doctor where I was injected with some type of pain killer.

By the time we got home I was pretty out of it and hit the bed. The pain was totally gone in about a half an hour, but was replaced with six hours of constant itching. On the up side, I was too drugged to really care that I itched all over. In the middle of the night the pain returned full force. So much for that method of treatment.

I woke the next day to find myself taking three naps. Needless to say, I was zapped. I ran out for a short trip to the pharmacy to get some prednisone and to get my hair done. I've been working odd hours and had canceled this appointment once and really wanted to get it over with. Thank the good Lord the girl that did my hair did an amazing job of giving me a head and neck massage as well.  Once I was finished it was right back home to bed.

By Friday I was looking forward to the weekend and heading to the suburbs of Chicago to move our kids. They were heading north of the city to relocate for Alfred's job and schooling.  We decided to sleep at home that night and head out by 6AM for our three hour drive.  Thankfully we are an hour ahead of Chicago.

The kids had worked like crazy getting everything packed up.  By the time we arrived the guys were ready to head out with the U-haul while Alicia and I finished up at the old apartment.

Despite the guys forgetting the keys to the new place it all came together in time.  After lots of hard work we had thing pretty much moved into their condo and it was starting to take shape. 
Cute little kitchen area

Dinner at Big Bowl Thai Restaurant
We decided to call it a day, get a hotel for Dave and I, and head to dinner.  The kid's condo gas wouldn't be turned on for a few days so a hotel gave us all hot showers as well as letting the kids enjoy their new place without dad and mom under their feet 24-7.  We worked hard the next day to get things put away and make their new place feel like home.  It shaped up really nicely!

We went out to dinner that night for some Mediterranean food.  It's always something fun and different when we visit our kids.  There are options for eating that we just don't have in our area.

Monday, Labor Day, the kids surprised Dave with tickets to a Cubs baseball game. His birthday is coming up this week and  He was really excited!  We rode the train into the ballpark, one of my favorite things to do!!! 

Riding the L
Still a bit under the weather, but having fun!
Happy Birthday Dave!

We hopped off the train and headed right across the road to the ball field.
We had some great seats just beyond third base.  I enjoyed watching people, eating a hot pretzel and some peanuts, as well as...oh yeah...watching the game.  I also got the entire low down from the lady behind me as to what shoes would be purchased for her young son to wear to school.  She spent most of the game talking on her phone with someone to make sure the right pair of shoes were purchased.  (Oh brother!)
What's a ballgame without a hot dog?
The score board at Wrigley Field drove me nuts!  It's a classic and has not been updated to a high def big screen.  It took me to the 7th inning stretch to figure it out.  I know it's really cool, but I'm a slow learner.  Alicia was a bit fascinated watching the people turn the boards to change the score.  

Dave had fun making a little video of the "take me out to the ballgame" song that we all had fun singing at the 7th inning stretch.
It was a fun day even though the temps had dropped a ton.  We went from hot and sweating while moving to sweatshirts and jeans along with that cold wind that Chicago is known for.  David had fun sportin' his new Cubs shirt that I surprised him with.  When in Chicago we do as the Cubs fans do.  Well, Dave was right there with the Cubs gear while I showed up in pink and stuck out like a sore thumb.
Dave and his girl
Alfred ended up catching a fly ball!  He was pretty excited.  The ball looked like it was coming straight for my head and as I ducked I plowed into the lady next to me. (You can see her right to the left of Alicia)  She was quite the sport and just laughed it off.  The two little boys behind us were a bit bummed that the 6'4" guy in front of them had the advantage in catching the ball.

It was a really fun day and a good way to relax and have some fun after all the work of the move.  Woohoo, the Cubbies won!  We took the train back to our cars and the kids headed north while we hit the road south and back around the lake to Michigan.
Thanks Alfred and Alicia for a fun holiday and for letting us be apart of your lives.


Dawn said...

Looks like a great time together, in spite of the hard work of moving. I am glad the headache didn't come back to spoil your time there!

It's cold and rainy here in Colorado today - crazy quick change!

Just Mom said...


It reminds me of the first pro-baseball game I ever attended (Seattle Mariners vs. Kansas City Royals). I didn't understand anything about the sport but loved singing along with everyone in the 7th inning. :-D

Susan said...

Those are the best of times: with family, getting things done, helping out, sharing lives, and then playing. I know all 4 of you really enjoyed every single minute.

Mari said...

I'm so glad that you were feeling better and could enjoy your time together. I'm sure Alicia really appreciated having Mom there to help with the move.
The ball game looks like a lot of fun. Hooray for Alfred catching the ball!

Cheri said...

That headache sounds just awful. So glad you're doing better. The weekend sounds exactly like what the Dr ordered!