Thursday, September 8, 2011

You are THAT guy!

Standing in the park talking with Steve I looked across to the tennis courts and spotted a group of guys that I knew.  In the midst of them was someone new, someone I'd never seen.  I couldn't quite take my eyes off from him.  He was blond, thin, and looking pretty hot in his high top socks and short shorts.

While trying to carry on a conversation with Steve I found my eyes looking past him and at you.  You were the new guy.  You were the one that grabbed my attention.

Steve, being a great friend, willingly walked me over to meet you.  You seemed kind of shy and sweet.  Most of the guys you were with were loud and loving any attention they could get, but you didn't seem to care for attention.

Months later I remember vividly you showing up at the high school where I was watching a girl's basketball game with Tami.  You sat and talked with us and once again I noticed how very gentle you were and just an all around sweet guy.

More months pasts and finally the day came where you called to ask me out for New Years Eve.  I, already being committed to other plans for the night, regretfully said no.

It was pretty obvious that the Lord wanted our paths to cross.  Even though we went to different high schools we found ourselves sitting together at Mac Donald’s after a guys basketball game and had our first real talk.  You were someone special and my heart strings were being tugged ever so gently.

I know it took years of growing up to see that I needed you in my life.  After all, I was only fifteen when we met.  I finally realized that the gentle, loving, and giving man I had been dating for three and a half years was the man God intended for me to spend my life with.

Today is your birthday. We have shared 35 birthdays together.  Each year I'm reminded of what a blessed woman I am to have you by my side.  You are the best listener in my life.  You always put me before your own needs.  If I need chocolate or anything else you drop everything just to make me happy.

I know this may sound sappy and like all the other tributes women write to their husbands, but I want to make sure you know that God in His goodness graced my life with the gift of you.  There is nothing more wonderful and beautiful than to know how much you love me every single day of your life.  You are my best friend and you make me laugh even in those times when I don't want to.

David, thank you for loving me, working hard to provide for me, and for filling my heart with the knowledge of being safe and secure with you.

May you be reminded in hundreds of ways today of how amazing you are.  May you feel God's goodness raining down upon you from your head to your toes.  Most of all, may you feel happy and content knowing you are loved beyond what can be said!

Happy birthday my love!  I pray that we will have many more years to blow out the candles together.

"For you see, each day I love you more ~ Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow."

5 comments:

Cheri said...

What a beautiful post. You made me tear up a bit. (shocking I know) :)
What a wonderful gift you gave your kids letting them see their parents love each other so much.

Momma Roar said...

Happy Birthday to your man! I enjoyed your tribute to him - you are an awesome couple and I just love how you balance one another out!

Mari said...

Ginger - this is such a wonderful tribute to Dave and to your loving marriage. Like Cheri, you had me tearing up! Dave's pretty special, but then so are you and God knew just what he was doing when he put you together!

Just Mom said...

Oh my gosh, that was beautiful! *sniff*

(Really, it was. I'm teary eyed.)

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Sylvia said...

I can just tell those words are so completely real and genuine and said in true love for Dave. Special couple............