Tuesday, September 18, 2012

For my daughter

Lindsey Joy and Mommy 1983

I Loved You From The Start

Author: Unknown
I loved you from the very start…

You stole my breath, embraced my heart.

 
Our life together has just begun,

You’re part of me, my little one.



As mother with child, each day I knew

My mind would be filled with thoughts of you.

I’m daydreaming of the things we’ll share,

Like late-night bottles and teddy bears.

Like first steps and skinned knees,

Like bedtime stories and ABC’s.



I’m thinking of things you’ll want to know,

Like how birds fly and flowers grow.

I’ve thought of lessons I’ll need to share,

Like standing tall and playing fair.



When I first see your precious face,

I’ll pray your life be touched with grace.

I’ll thank the Lord from above,

And promise you unending love.



Each night I’ll lay you down to sleep,

I’ll gently kiss your head and cheek.

I’ll count your little fingers and toes,

I’ll memorize your eyes and nose.



I will linger at your nursery door,

Awed each day that I love you more.

Through misty eyes, I’ll dim the light,

And whisper, “I love you” every night.



As mother with child our journey’s begun,

My heart’s yours forever, little one.


 I loved you from the very start…

You stole my breath, embraced my heart.
 
 Lindsey Joy ~ 22 weeks
Lindsey Joy, this poem speaks the very words held deeply in my heart 29 years ago.  Now look at you, so beautiful, so happy and so filled with wonder.
Your little boy is growing.  Each day you are noticing him more as he kicks reminding you that he is there.  I cannot even begin to tell you what the months that are ahead will feel like.  There's nothing like it, a growing baby within.  You'll feel the kicks.  You'll feel the hick-ups and before you know it you see little hands and feet moving across your belly.  He's right there tucked up under your heart.
I know you wonder what life will be like when he arrives.  Will you lose apart of yourself?  Will you be a good mom who loves to play with her little one?  Will you be able to handle the challenges that come with a new baby?
Trust me my daughter, you will be the best!  You are filled with love and all too soon this little boy will fill every single corner of your heart to where you can't imagine there's any room left.  He will smile at you and just that small little turned up mouth will melt you into a thousand pieces.  His eyes will sparkle when he sees you.  Your heart will feel like exploding.  And when his little head snuggles up in your neck and he falls peacefully asleep you will quietly utter a prayer that this moment will never come to an end.
 Lindsey, I wish you all the wonderful and magical moments I felt with you.  I still hold on to the memory of your little face against mine.  I can see your little smiles and sparkling blues eyes when I close mine.  I can feel your heartbeat against my chest when I think of you right there so close and such a part of me all those many years ago.
Oh yes, life will change for sure. 
 He will steal your breath and embrace your heart.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Your words describe Motherhood perfectly! I could remember and feel each thing you described.
Lindsey will be a great mom - she had a wonderful example. :)

Sylvia said...

Mari has summed up my thoughts completely. Wonderful post.